HC for inclusion of Gurgaon MC Commissioner in panel
Tribune News Service
Chandigarh, March 11
The Punjab and Haryana High Court today expressed dissatisfaction with the nine-member committee constituted by the Cabinet Secretary for looking into the shifting of the ammunition dump at Gurgaon and Faridabad.
Directing the reconstitution of the committee, the Division Bench of Chief Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Justice Arun Palli made it clear that it was in favour of including Gurgaon Municipal Commissioner Praveen Kumar’s name in the committee.
As the case came up for resumed hearing, counsel for the Union of India Onkar Singh Batalvi placed before the Bench the details of the committee constituted by the Cabinet Secretary.
Batalvi told the court that the committee was to be headed by an Additional Secretary in the Ministry of Defence. Two members were to be taken from the Department of Research and Development and another from the Defence Estate. Some of the other members were to be from the Department of Atomic Energy and the Union Ministry of Urban Development.
The Bench was of the view that the defence, with five members, had more than the requisite representation. The Bench also questioned the rationale behind appointing the Chairman from the Ministry of Defence and the Cabinet Secretary’s move to consult the Defence Ministry. In any case, the Bench was of the view that nine members were more than the requirement.
The Bench was also critical of appointing a Secretary-level officer from Haryana and indicated the need for having an officer well conversant with the area. Dr Praveen Kumar’s name was recommended as the Bench felt the senior IAS officer was well-versed with the ground realities and the topography of the area.
The matter had reached the High Court after a PIL was filed by Suresh Goyal of Faridabad. He was seeking the removal of constructions within a 100-metre area around the Air Force Station, Dabua, in Faridabad, as it was a protected zone under the Work of Defence Act. The High Court had also taken cognizance of a similar matter on the construction activities within the restricted 900-metre zone in Gurgaon.
CHANDIGARH/GURGAON: There is a ray of hope for real estate projects awaiting change of land use (CLU) licences from the state government. The department of town and country planning on Tuesday submitted a revised sub-regional plan to the NCR Planning Board (NCRPB). The builders, however, will have to wait till the board approves the revised plan.
Last month, the Punjab and Haryana high court had barred the state government from issuing CLU licences to developers or government agencies in NCR because of the same reason.
Earlier, the NCRPB had highlighted loopholes in Haryana’s draft of the sub-regional plan, but the government failed to incorporate the changes. After a rap from the HC, the state government submitted the revised plan on Monday. “We are now waiting for the board’s reply. NCRPB had asked us to add chapters on environment impact and special pockets in the plan. Other objections were technical like the mismatch of data and tables calculated both by the state and the board,” said Anurag Rastogi, director general of DTCP.
As per the HC order, the state still can’t issue CLU licences. “First the sub-regional plan has to be approved by the board. Then the plan for entire NCR has to be notified. This process may take time because Union urban development minister Kamal Nath hasn’t even studied the minutes of the last board meeting yet,” said a source in the ministry.
Moreover, the Delhi government has raised its concerns on the provision of allowing tourism activities in the Aravalis. “Resolution of these issues may even more time,” he added.
On January 23, a division bench of the Punjab and Haryana high court barred the state from issuing new CLUs without mandatory approval of the sub-regional plan from the NCRPB. The bench, headed by Chief Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul, was hearing petitions on alleged unregulated construction and development around Gurgaon and other NCR areas in Haryana. During the hearing, the Haryana financial commissioner-cum-principal secretary T C Gupta assured the bench that the state government would get the requisite approval from the NCRPB within two months.
The petitioners had also challenged contents of the proposed Master Plan 2025 and 2031 of Gurgaon-Manesar region.
Faridabad, February 3
The newly developed Industrial Model Township (IMT) at Ballabgarh will offer nearly 530 plots to industrialists in a couple of weeks.
Welcoming the move, Ramnik Prabhakar, a member of the Manufacturers Association, Faridabad (MAF), said, “We have been demanding much smaller plots, preferably of the size ranging between 50 sq yards and 300 sq yards, so that a majority of the small units operating from non-industrial areas could be adjusted in a developed township.’’
He said over 5,000 small and medium industrial units were operating from the residential and unauthorised areas and the authorities had perhaps ignored the ground realties so far.
He said the rates of the plots offered at IMT Ballabgarh were much above the paying capacity of a majority of the entrepreneurs as a plot of 500 sq yards would be costing around Rs 80 lakh.
“Private developers are offering such plots in the Prithla and Palwal areas at a rate ranging from Rs 3,000 to Rs 8,000 per sq yard against the minimum price of Rs 15,000 per sq yard in the IMT,’’ said a member of the Faridabad Industries Association (FIA).
NOIDA: The Noida Authority is set to start work on a six-lane bridge, parallel to the existing Okhla Barrage, this month bringing a sigh of relief to thousands of commuters who travel between Delhi, Noida and Faridabad. Technical bids for the project are to be finalized on February 3, while financial bids will be decided a week later. According to the officials, the construction of the Rs 150 crore bridge is expected to be ready in two years.
Officials further revealed that the Central Water & Power Research Station (CWPRS), Pune, Yamuna Action Plan (YAP) and IIT-Delhi have already approved the proposed project last year and it is being fast tracked according to the directions of the chief minister, Akhilesh Yadav.
The traffic on the Kalindi Kunj Bridge, linking Noida and south Delhi, has grown considerably in the past few years. Experts said that the narrow road which caters to nearly 1.5 lakh vehicles daily is no longer convenient.
CWPRS carried out detailed surveys and hydraulic model studies for the bridge in August last year. Moreover, factors pertaining to the soil, river flow, water pressure, pillar strength, etc have been tested by the agency to ascertain the design of the pillars and the width of the bridge.
The proposed 574m long bridge will be supported by 15 pillars, with a 41m distance between two pillars. It will also have a central verge and pedestrian pathways on each side. A cycle track is also on the cards. The new bridge will be at a distance of about 40m from the Metro track, which is currently under construction. It will have approach roads from Delhi and Noida.
In May last year, some amendments were made to the initial design of the proposed bridge. Initially, the Noida Authority had proposed to construct a parallel bridge between the existing Okhla Barrage and the upcoming Metro line. The new bridge will now be located below the Metro line. Also, a link road from the bridge has been proposed till the Mahamaya flyover, officials said.
A proposal for a parallel bridge was made nearly two years ago, as an agreement between Noida Authority and Noida Toll Bridge Company Limited — that has built and runs the DND Flyway — prohibited a competing facility for a period of 10 years.
Since DND became operational in February 2001, the agreement expired in 2011. This allowed the Authority to take up the project on priority and it gave the green signal to the new bridge in February 2011 by selecting a consultant and fixing a budget.
Tribune News Service
Faridabad, January 24
Despite an overall lull in the real estate sector, illegal construction and encroachment in certain parts of the district appear to be going on in “full swing”. These include the hilly terrain of the Aravallis.
However, the authorities have removed certain encroachments from the Surajkund area in the past.
“Several construction activities have been noticed in the area, including the Surajkund road. As the non-forest area comes under the jurisdiction of the Municipal Corporation Faridabad (MCF), it has removed certain encroachments in the past,” said a source in the civic body.
Admitting that illegal construction poses a threat to the green cover of the Aravallis, an official said illegal construction or mining could not be done without the involvement of influential persons.
“Panchayat land of several villages, including Ankhir, Lakadpur, Badkhal, Anangpur and Mewla Maharajpur, located under the jurisdiction of the MCF has been used for construction activities on a large scale,” said the official.
District Forest Officer Bhup Singh Yadav said around a dozen FIRs had been lodged at various police stations in the region regarding anti-forest activities.
A memorandum seeking tough action against the violators was submitted to the District Forest Officer by the Vanya Jivan Bachao Sangharsh Samiti here yesterday.
CHANDIGARH: The Punjab and Haryana high court on Thursday directed the Haryana government not to issue any change of land use (CLU) licence to developers to build colonies in Gurgaon and the National Capital Region till the NCR Planning Board approves a sub-regional plan.
The high court also restrained authorities from initiating any process for acquisition of land in these regions till further orders.
A division bench headed by Chief Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul passed these orders while hearing petitions alleging unregulated construction and development around Gurgaon and NCR without the mandatory sub-regional plan from the NCRPB. The petitioners had also challenged the proposed Gurgaon master plan of 2025 and 2031.
TC Gupta, financial commissioner and principal secretary in the department of town and country planning, was present in court. Asked by the bench about approval for a sub-regional plan, Gupta said the government would get it from NCRPB within two months. The bench then directed him not to issue CLU licences to any developer and also not acquire land in Gurgaon and NCR till approval for a sub-regional plan is obtained. The court, however, clarified the order would not affect CLU licences already issued by the government.
The petitioner, Rishi Dagar and others, argued before the court that the Haryana government had permitted haphazard construction in and around Gurgaon and NCR and licences and CLUs have been issued without obtaining mandatory approval of its sub-regional plan from the NCRPB.
What HC said
“State government should not issue CLUs/licences to any developer and not acquire any land in Gurgaon and NCR till the approval of sub-regional plan is obtained from NCRPB.”
Chief Justice’s Bench Petitioners allege:
Haryana govt has created a concrete jungle around Delhi.
All CLUs and licences to colonizers issued by Haryana are illegal.
Haryana govt has permitted haphazard construction activities in Gurgaon and NCR without complying with statutory provisions.
Master plan 2015 and 2031 for Gurgaon not in consonance with NCRPB Act, 1985.
Approval and notification of sub-regional plan was mandatory before issuing CLUs in Gurgaon and NCR.
Tribune News Service
Chandigarh, January 23
The group-housing societies, residential colonies of employers and commercial-cum-residential complexes of developers will be supplied power on single-point (bulk supply) system by the electricity department from April 1.
While the electricity bills for February/March would be issued as per the existing practice, the bills from April onwards would be issued as per the single-point metering system, according to an order issued by the Chief General Manager (Commercial), Uttar Haryana Bijli Vitran Nigam (UHBVN).
The new system would be implemented in housing colonies having 20 or more houses.
The order said on the basis of the reading of April 1, the bills of the single-point supply would be generated by April 7 and distributed by April 10.
The residents have to deposit the bills by April 17 to the nodal officer concerned, who would deposit them with the SDO concerned by April 25.
Under the new system, the housing complexes would install a single electricity meter for power distribution and individual consumers would have sub-meters.
The society management would be responsible for individual metering, billing, and collection of charges from individual users and payment of energy bills for single-point power supply to the discoms, sources said.
A majority of housing societies and residential complexes have an exclusive power distribution network in the form of transformers, high-tension and low-tension cables and service cables on their premises.
As of now, only a few societies and residential complexes have single-point power supply under bulk supply category.
The decision was taken as officials of power distribution companies currently did not have free access to these gated complexes manned by security personnel.
Due to restricted access, officials could not take effective steps to reduce commercial losses, which ultimately resulted in high tariff and affected the interests of honest consumers. Besides, consumers made frequent complaints of harassment by the power distribution company employees in connection with meter reading, billing and payment of bills, sources added.
Fresh power regime
* Housing societies to shift to single-point metering system from April 1
* Housing complexes to install single electricity meter for power distribution
* Society management responsible for collection and payment of power bills